Monday 15 April 2013

Weekly Walk 12 - Avebury Stone Circle



As one of the most important Stone Circles in Europe, my trip to Avebury was much more than a walk.  I admired the quaint village, Manor and stones, before a trek around the nearby area to see other connected monuments, including the remains of a religious site known as the Sanctuary, and the largest burial mound in Britain, as well as walking the initial part of the 87 mile Ridgeway Trail.

I parked at the National Trust car park in Avebury and paid five pounds for all day parking. The village was lovely with The Red Lion Thatched pub and pretty St James Church. The Central Tourist area at the Old Farmyard features Avebury Manor and Gardens, a shop and cafe, and the Alexander Keiller museum, where you can wait for a guided tour, or go off and explore the stones for yourself.




When ready to branch out further, I refuelled with a quick bit of lunch at the car, then crossed the road and through a gate to follow a path along the river. I passed Silbury Hill, a man-made structure probably once used in conjunction with ceremonies at Avebury, and eventually crossed the A4 and headed through a gate over a bridge to a field. I didn't really know what I was in for, but decided to detour up the hill to West Kennett Long Barrow.




It’s a burial mound where 36 adults and children were buried around 3,650 BC.  I didn’t realise you could go inside the barrow, which was a hair-raising experience, especially as I was on my own in its quite secluded spot. I marched down the hill and continued across two fields to a style. I walked a narrow tree-lined path before turning left down a track to a road, took a left over a bridge, then right to walk across a field to the base of another steep climb.





An awesome tree-house in a garden opposite the field

At the top of the hill I found The Sanctuary, another circle once used for religious ceremonies or death rites. The original wood structure could possibly have been replaced with stone, but now only markers remained to show where they might have been. It was interesting, but noisy due to being right next to the A4.




I crossed over to a car-park marking the start of the Ridgeway Trail, which runs between Overton Hill and Ivinghoe Beacon near Tring. I continued a short way before turning off left and walking up to an ancient monument of trees. I stood at their centre a moment to take in the silence and spiritual atmosphere, before continuing down the path to Manor Farm. The final stretch took me along a country lane, until I arrived back at the stones.






If you’re looking for a walk that combines a ton of history, or want to extend your day out at Avebury, I definitely recommend this walk as advertised in the 50 Walks in Wiltshire guide, or look for the few information signs along the route, or ask one of the guides at the National Trust information point at the car-park, who I’m sure would be able to advise you of the route.

Research courtesy of the English-Heritage and National Trust websites and the 50 Walks in Wiltshire Guide

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/the-sanctuary/

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/avebury/


No comments:

Post a Comment