Monday 21 February 2011

Acceptance

Working with Cheyenne and Argo is a totally different experience to Nola Pack or Romeo. Cheyenne will whimper and squeak as I approach. Argo comes forth to see who's there. You would of thought from this that they'd be happy to see me, but when I kneel down to get a cuddle, Cheyenne walks right past me and up to the tools! They are far more interesting to a wolf. I do get kisses from Cheyenne and she'll let me pet her under the chin, but if go for her adrenal gland at the top of her back leg, she'll growl. I need to spend a lot more time with these guys before I'll be accepted.

Nola pack are a different story. From my first time entering their pen, I've received kisses. Saint did growl at me the first few times he saw me through the fence, but apart from that I've been welcomed with dog like enthusiasm. Their pack structure is fascinating. They'll often stand in rank order, and that's how their social interactions with me have gone. The lowest ranking members, Juno and Goldie have been a lot more skittish around me, until now. It all started with Juno licking my outstretched hand a few times, then dashing off. Now it's progressed to a repeat of this process several times during my time with her. She'll let me gently tickle the end of her chin and has been brave enough to put her front legs up on my back. Most recently, she's taken to following me around and being a lot more playful. All the members, with the exception of Goldie, have accepted my presence. They'll lie down right next to me and chew on their sticks. This has rubbed of on Goldie. She's now coming up to a meter away from me when the other's are there, watching me curiously. She'll walk behind me when I'm not looking and linger a while, sussing me out to see if I'm trust worthy. I'm confident that if I keep visiting them for a lengthy while, Goldie will become used to me, and allow me to pet her.

Romeo is as cute as can be. He's getting to the point where he'll trust me enough to climb into my lap and allow me to rub his tummy. It's not happened yet. The closest I've had ended with him climbing my face, which hurt a lot! But according to Leyton, his recent behaviour shows he's becoming a lot more social towards me.

When I've not been around animals, I've been an apprentice construction worker! I've been helping Alex put up wooden beams on the outside of Leyton's new office. He's been sawing the wood to size whilst I've been using the nail gun to fit them into place. We've had a few mishaps where the wood has been cut the wrong way, but we've managed to get almost three walls done over the week. It's been amazing to see the progression each day. The inside is all painted and nice with fancy trimming round the windows and a new desk put in. It just goes to show, that with a little help, a lot can be achieved in a small space of time. I've also had a chance to drive one of the vans. My first time in an automatic, and somehow I managed not to crash as I reversed it out of the parking bay!!

Gaia is still unwell. I've sat in with her and encouraged her to eat her food. I was sitting down next to her when I realised how big she actually is! She ate about 1/3rd of her food, but is still not showing any signs of improvement. I took Peanut home one night in the week and she slept all night in my bed, snuggled right up next to me! It was rather cute. It's been a tiring week, catching up on the lack of sleep and doing lots of work, but it's still really good fun. I do look forward to my trip to Vegas, mainly for a warm shower and a large bed for four nights!!

No comments:

Post a Comment