Thursday 17 February 2011

Car Crash in Santa Fe

We'd spent the day shopping in Santa Fe. I'd seen the plaza and bought a turquoise necklace. We'd visited the old part, tried tea in the tea house and gazed at art in the many galleries. Katie drove to pick up her brother, giving us a little look at Santa Fe Community College. The day was drawing on. We'd stayed up till 3am watching movies in the luxurious cabin and were getting tired and hungry. We decided to set off for dinner, but the car was already full. Me and Katie in the front. Jason, Robin and Kristina in the back. Katie's brother, James, squeezed in the back. "It's highly illegal," said Katie, so we hoped we didn't get caught by the cops. Well, we didn't get caught, but the police still turned up...
Katie drive back towards Santa Fe. "Let's take a short cut," said James, leading us down a smaller road to a stop sign at the end. Katie waited. The drivers on all sides seemed to wait. Katie waited some more, and figured this was her right of way. She pulled out. I saw a car out my window. It was coming right for us. I think I called out to make it stop, but it was too late. It collided with the side of the car, pushing us slightly into the road. We pulled over, no one was hurt. Thankfully the driver took the blame, but we still had to wait over an hour for him to turn up. He asked to see everyone's passport, but the guys didn't have theirs. I handed my over as they made their excuses, and waited as he went over our details. He spent ages looking, making me slightly paranoid, but eventually we got underway. By the time we'd had dinner and got back to the cabin for our stuff, it was already 9pm, and the girls still had laundry to do. We stocked up on cans of energy drink in WalMart before getting underway. 3 and and half hours later, we were back at the sanctuary. It was 2.30am and we had to be up at 7. I just about managed to sleep, still buzzing from the caffeine kick, my head spinning from our latest adventure.


Adobe buildings in the old part of Santa Fe
Santa Fe was beautiful! The old part consisted of many adobe style buildings wedged together. The art galleries were quite amazing, filled with creative energy, and the plaza filled with many shops selling crystals, incense and other touristy gifts. We stayed in a luxurious cabin at Camp Stoney where Katie has spent much time working as a camp councillor. There were five bedrooms, a huge kitchen and living room. I had a double bed all to myself! The shower spoke for itself. These luxuries seemed so much more comforting after being away from them for so long! The tea shop was a great get away, tucked into the old part of town, selling hundreds of different types of tea. I had a cowboy chai, but I preferred the taste of Jason's French Breakfast. Exploring America is lots of fun. I've just booked tickets to Las Vegas, which will give me a further taste of America's culture.

Argo looking happy
I'm now trained on Argo and Cheyenne. I've been in several times, but have to keep my guard and watch out for Argo. He seems to be getting used to me, and today looked at me inquisitively and calmly, not challenging but accepting my presence. I may be able to start working towards walking members of Nola pack. They don't like walks but as they become more friendly with me, might start allowing me to leash them and take them outside. It's bad news for Gaia. Due to old age, she's becoming sick and might not survive the summer. It's very sad as I have become quite attached to her. I visited her today and spent 10 minutes petting her through the fence. Work on the sanctuary has become geared to setting up Leyton's new office, and I've been sorting lumber, building well houses, shovelling stones to make paths and started doing a small amount of painting. It's a change from the norm, but is once again enhancing the sets of skills that I'm learning with my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment