Monday 7 February 2011

The (almost) Pure Wolf and the Lost Pup

Saint and Azteka saw me coming through the perimeter gate. They gathered by the entrance to their enclosure, bouncing with excitement. I removed the perimeter chain and teased them with some high pitched 'hellos', when Angel called me away. Saint and Azteka had gotten excited for nothing. I apologised and promised they would get their cuddles soon. Angel led me higher up the compound, past Mountain pack, and on to the next enclosure. Cheyenne and Argo. This was my upgrade to mid-maintenance animals. I listened to Angels instructions. "You want to remove your hat, and maybe your jacket." I did as I was told, not wanting to upset the animals. She told me about Agro. He's almost a pure wolf. This didn't make him any less impressive. His pale blue eyes stared right through me. He seemed quiet. Contemplative, sussing me out and testing for weaknesses. "Don't turn your back to him," warned Angel. As I pushed into the enclosure, I made sure I faced him, not wanting to find out what would happen if I didn't. Cheyenne came bounding over. She leaped up and headbutted me right in the nose. It hurt, but I didn't want to make a fuss. She was very friendly, giving me lots of kisses, but they were different to Nola pack. Toothy and hard. She felt a lot stronger. I knew I had to be on my guard. I kept my eyes on Argo as I walked over to take a seat on a log. I was so aware of him, that I didn't see Cheyenne creep up behind me. She leaped up. Two strong legs wrapped around my shoulders, dominating me. I tried to forced her off, but she was heavy, and strong. I shook her off, and that seemed to gain my authority once more. Argo tried a similar tactic, creeping up behind me, but I made sure I turned to face him. As we left the enclosure, I thought about the fun I was going to have with them. By the end of next week I would be their caretaker. I hope I'm up to the challenge.

I'm finally moving up to mid-maintenance animals! This means I'll possibly have three enclosures to look after. It's exciting. Cheyenne and Argo have a lot of wolf in them, and you can tell. Their behaviour is totally different to the low content wolf dogs. They will test me and take every opportunity I give them. I've also been into Iowa Trio's enclosure. I was taking photos of a very special feed. The deer we had previously taken the legs from. I followed George as he carried it to their pen. He and Angel took it inside, and I was allowed to follow with my camera. As they set it down, three excited Tundra wolves closed in. Akela and Brutus were the first to eat. They tore away it's flesh, looking very wild and scary. Navar stood back and watched. He's a lower ranking member and wasn't allowed closer until the other two were finished. Eventually, they dragged the carcass up the hill and lay down next to it, protecting their kill. It was fascinating to watch. They looked as they would do in the wild. It was amazing!

I had a heart wrenching experience on my rounds day. I noticed that a new puppy was in the pen. He was mostly white with black patches. ADL (America's Dairy Land) was his name. Someone had taken two puppies and couldn't handle it, and so had returned ADL. I went in to feed the puppies. I set the food down as usual, then, one of the larger puppies nipped ADL and growled loudly at him, warning him not to touch the food. I was shocked! I tried to put ADL to the bowl, but he ran away, shaking. I had to get him another bowl of food and feed him outside the enclosure. I later asked what had happened. Apparently as ADL was taken away early on, the puppies had forgotten who he was, and were treating him as an outsider. It was terrible. All through out the day I could hear the puppies growling and snarling at him. Nipping at his back. Each time I walked past, he ran to the fence and barked loudly, wanting to be freed. I felt so sorry for him, and so angry at the owners. I really wish they hadn't bothered in the first place.

The weather has improved in Candy Kitchen. Today, the sun is shining and it's getting warm once again. We're planning another road trip for next weekend, this time to Santa Fe! We're hoping to stay at the camp that Katie worked out, then have a chance to explore the museums and go for another drink. Along with my wolf training, taking wolves and dogs for walks and going sight seeing, this is going to be a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment