Saturday 12 February 2011

The Bullet in the Bone

I drove the Ford Ranger over to maintenance. I got round the tight bend and floored the gas to keep it running up the hill. My eyes drifted out of the window. A four legged mammal ran into bushes. I parked and dashed out. The animal was just a bit smaller than a wolf, maybe the size of Ally but with a big bushy tail. It must've been a Coyote. Sadly it vanished before I had a closer look, but it reminded me of my current closeness to nature. Even being around the dogs has opened my eyes to our connection with animals. Me, Jason, Katie and Robin went for a walk through the wilderness on our day off, taking the dogs with us. Being in the open felt so free! I took Kano home the past few nights. Being a Pitbull, he's rather strong, but under it all he's quite sweet and has enjoyed sleeping on my bed in the warm. I've enjoyed developing my connection with River and Kano and trying to teach Peanut not to pull on the lead. I really wasn't expecting to be able to do this during my time at Wild Spirit, but I'm so glad that I've finally got my chance to bring dogs, and the wolves and nature, into my life.

With all the cute and cuddly love for animals, it's easy to forget how dangerous they can be, and how we can endanger them. I went into wolf kitchen, when Angie showed me a bucket. It contained a rack of ribs that were due to be fed. I took a closer look, not knowing what she was alluding to. Then I saw it. A shiny, golden nub of metal. A bullet in the bone. That would have killed an animal. We would have been to blame. Another message that no matter how comfortable you get around animals, you have to be on your guard. The Emergency Protocol meeting opened my eyes to the many incidences that may occur around the wolves. Tales of people having their faces scratched when accidental breaking the rules, such as leaning over an animal. All the silly mistakes that we could make when too comfortable. Even Katie had a run in with her animals when on a walk. Nimoy, who's slightly timid and more trusting and friendly towards women, turned on her when she managed to get the lead caught. Nimoy was only scared, but it's a message to never let your guard down. These are wild animals for a reason.

I finally got to go with George on the food run on Wednesday. It was nice to get away for a while and experience the sights of Gallup. I was amazed at how many people needed propane at the refilling station. Walmart was fun as usual. I managed to stock up on sodas. Got some pop tarts, and convinced George to get a few extra treats such as steak. The more I do basic tasks such as these, the more I become accustomed to living in America.

I've yet to be fully trained on Argo and Cheyenne, due to an incident with Angel's dog which kept her away. I have been in for my second time. Cheyenne was a lot less jumpy and excitable. She even went full submissive and let me rub her tummy! Argo stalked me as before, creeping up on my back until I turn to face him. I really will have to watch out for being nipped by him! I have managed to have a few breakthroughs this week. The most exciting, was my picture taking of Romeo! I borrowed Katie's camera and got some great close ups! I was in his enclosure for a long time, and he kept walking up to me to say hello. I tried a new tactic with Nola pack today, and I think it worked. Instead of entering with high pitched noises and flinging out my arms for hugs, I entered silently. I didn't sit down, but flipped the bucket first, ignoring the wolves hyperactive gathering. I went and sat by the tree, but this got them all excited and I had to sit elsewhere. When I finally sat in my usual spot, I petted Saint and Azteka silent, when the outcome I wanted finally happened. Goldie came up to me, close enough to sniff my hand. She seemed less afraid of me, and came a lot closer than ever before! I believe that if I keep doing this, I'll get Goldie comfortable with my presence.

This week has ended with a decline in the volunteer kitchen! The electricity went, plunging us into darkness. The plumbing became blocked, throwing out water when I tried to unblock it. The dirty plates have piled up. Oh how I can't wait to get to Santa Fe this weekend. Five bedroom house with lounge and fully stocked kitchen (plus plumbing and electricity) here I come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment