Thursday 3 January 2013

Happy New Year! Time to plan my next adventure

It's that time of year when besides making new years resolutions I like to think about what challenges lie ahead. It's been suggested my team from The Three Peaks get together in Inverness and climb the surrounding mountains. I'm very excited as I loved climbing Ben Nevis, but there are other hikes on my radar, and some of those I've listed below as I try to figure out what suggestions I should make to the group.

Gore-Tex National Trail

I heard about this hike at the end of last year and couldn't believe it's length. It's a 470 mile walk along the length of Scotland over some already established paths. A massive achievement if you can do it all, but can be split into various sections and would surely lead to some impressive sights.

Scotland's Munros

According to Munro Bagger.com, there are 282 Munros or mountains in Scotland, and apparently if you can climb them all, you can officially call yourself a Munro bagger. Awesome.

Hadrian's Wall

I'm a bit of a history geek, or more to the point I have a fascination with history and historical sites, and am spoilt for choice in the South-West with many hill forts, such as Old Saurm and Stonehenge on my doorstep. At the other end of the country, I find myself drawn to a coast-to-coast walk along the length of Hadrian's Wall. It apparently takes a week to complete. Definitely on my to do list.

Clarendon Way

I've walked parts of this 24 mile walk between Salisbury and Winchester, stopping by the remains of Clarendon Palace. I think it could be done over two days with a stop over in one of the villages. It certainly looks like fun, passing pubs in Pitton and Broughton before ending at Winchester Cathedral. This would probably make a good warm up hike before meeting with the group for our expedition.

Other walks suggested to me were the Yorkshire Three Peaks for a similar challenge to last year, and various Highland walks, such as a hike of the Angus Glens. I'm anxious to get out and about and hope to report on an outing very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment