Wednesday 16 January 2013

Weekly Walk #1 Between River Anton and Test

Today I tested my new pair of hiking boots on lovely winter stroll across fields near Wherwell and Chilbolton. I enjoyed fine views over the valleys of Anton and Test, and didn't get cold or wet, which is always a plus at this time of year. I didn't get blisters either.


I remembered this walk as it follows part of the disused Sprat and Winkle railway line that once ran between Andover and Redbridge. It was relatively straight forward, and only had one section on a busy road. I used the Hampshire Walks Pathfinder Guide, but already had a vague knowledge of the route. I parked off the A3057 at a car park near Fullerton, and walked quickly as the sun started to set, giving me a lovely red sky view on my return.



All in all the boots did rather well. I slipped up one icy, muddy hill, which was quite fun, and was surprised to have dry socks after wading through a boggy section on Chilbolton Common. Definitely look forward to testing out these bad boys on a more intense hike.



No comments:

Post a Comment