Thursday 7 February 2013

Weekly Walk #4 A Walk By the Ramblers

Each week I take a walk near my home in Wiltshire and post my adventure here with pictures, this week setting out on a four mile walk from Lockerley, Hampshire.

I used the Ramblers 'Get Out and Walk' Booklet for the Test Valley area. The Ramblers are a great organisation who help walkers access thousands of paths across the counrty, and I even saw their handy-work in the form of an improved gate. I parked at Butts Green and set out though a narrow passage past a garden and into a field.



I passed a farm house up to a silo and entered another field, to find a complication not written in the guide; a field full of cows. I took a wide route around, but found myself sinking rapidly into boot sucking mud. I skipped quick as I could into the grassier field, which was fun, until an angry cow appeared behind, and I thought it best to quickly edge out of sight.

I found easier terrain after the farmer's field and headed down through a gate and along a narrow, hedged lined passage. A few gates and fields later and I found myself at Telegraph House, a former Telegraph signal station. I continued into Gatmore Copse before taking a track to a hill top path overlooking Lockerley where I began.  





I was delighted to have two Buzzards soar overhead as I strolled down the hill. They'd almost passed by the time I reached for my camera, but I caught a passing shot. It proved no guide can guess the delights you might encounter whilst walking in the country, and had me thinking of joining the Ramblers myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment