Sunday 31 March 2013

Defended by a Lady; Weekly Walk #10 at Old Wardour Castle

A very historic walk this week as I visit Old Wardour Castle near Tisbury, Wiltshire, and take a walk up White Sheet Hill to an ancient highway used by pilgrims to get between Shaftesbury and Salisbury.

Old Wardour was built in the 1390s under the direction of John, Lord Lovell who had connections to the King and his master stonemasons. It wasn’t actually meant to be a military establishment, as although it had a few security features, it lacked a moat and was in an accessible, low lying position.

Interestingly, it was sieged twice; first most defended by the lady of the house, Lady Blanche Arundell, lost, and eventually reclaimed by Henry Arundell when he blew it up. Since that day, on the 18th March 1644, the castle was left for ruin until New Wardour Castle was built not too far away in a more luxurious manor house style, reflecting its original purpose. 

I started exploring the grounds and found a grotto, a lake, and some lovely, old trees. You can take an audio tour of the castle or use the guidebook like I did. It’s great that you can go inside and up the staircases to several still standing rooms, and definitely makes you feel you’re back in time, in a fantasy book, or for those who know the film, in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, as the castle was used a lot in its filming.


I set out from the car park between the castle and the lake to Wardour House. I followed a tree-lined path with a view to New Wardour Castle before a field to Pale Park Pond.



I crossed another field into a wood, walked a driveway of nice houses, and finally turned left to follow the road through Donhead St Andrew to the A30. I took a byway steeply up White Sheet Hill, which felt a long way and had me puffing by the top.


I was now on the ancient highway marked by a milestone dating back to 1736. It was a long, straight track, and following my historic morning, had me feeling I was on the Kingsroad from the series, A Song of Ice and Fire. I wondered if I’d gone too far, but soon I reached the road detailed in my guide and continued further to a gate.





I crossed a field to another gate and followed a path a short way before descending a steep hill. I went through a series of gates and crossed another field, before heading over the A30 once again, but this time to Waterloo Farm. I took a few tracks to the picturesque village of Antsy, which had a pond and a trickle of water running the length of the road.


I continued along a single track road past thatched houses before turning right uphill towards trees, where a deer in the woods ran as soon as I touched my camera. I walked the woods to another field and back towards the castle and its stone arch, which I was dubious about passing under as a few stones had fallen from its roof.



I got back to the car and had lunch overlooking the lake. A lovely end to a lovely day out.

My historic account thanks to the English Heritage guidebook for Old Wardour Castle and the AA’s 50 Walks in Wiltshire guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment