Thursday 13 January 2011

A taste of real America

We'd been cruising for an hour and a quarter and only just discovered civilisation. Native Americans wandered past stone buildings with mosaics painted down the sides. Wide open roads latticed the city of Gallup. We we're in need of doing laundry but had no idea where to go. At one point we had to turn around, then wait at the railroad crossing for a giant transport train to charge by. Cruising onto route 66, we found 'The Laundry Basket' but didn't stop. There was something much more important on our agenda. Food. We pulled into a 50's style Dinner. I ordered a burger. Got my Pepsi refilled. Left a tip. Later, we would go to Walmart. It was a taste of real America.

I've had my first trip into a neighbouring city, and what an experience it's been. We passed through several small towns, including those on the Navajo reservation. They're so tiny and some have very basic wooden buildings. The scary part was how long it took to get anywhere! There's a whole of desert between Candy Kitchen and civilisation. I really am out in the sticks. What I most loved was cruising on route 66. American roads were made for cruising. Slow speed limits. Nice and open. Fantastic. Walmart was an experience too. It trumps any UK supermarket! I've now stocked up on all the essentials. Lucky charms and Mountain Dew!


Crusing on the ATV

As I head into my second week the potential for responsibility increases. I took my written test, and failed by two questions, but went over it and today I passed!! Now I can take my rounds test, then be trained on the animals! I've been left to my own devices a lot more now and yesterday I even had a radio attached to my jeans. I felt very official! Had my first experience on an ATV too. I perched on the side as Robin tore around the compound, then I jumped off to toss red meat loaves into the wolves enclosures. It was awesome!

Last night I took a new stance on cookery. It doesn't seem all that important in the grand scheme of things, but out here you need a different ethos, maybe not to survive, but to use the land efficiently. We got our food delivery and had way too much stuff (which actually does make me rather happy to see). I'd thought about what I wanted to cook and had designated food items for those exact recipes. After talking to Robin, who'd much rather throw something together with minimal thought, I realised that if I just tap into my creativity, I can use what I already have to make something tasty. So I threw together my salvaged steak from the wolf kitchen with some rice and peas and made a pepper sauce using water, pepper and flour to thicken. It was lush, didn't need lots of 'stuff' and would of saved on money and excessive food. My new ethos: Realising that you've already got what you need to survive, not actively thinking or worrying about what you need to do, and tapping into your creativity to do it. I believe that this ethos can also help with many other aspects of life, and for me, especially with my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment