Wednesday 30 March 2011

In the blink of an eye...

On the road to Rosemount
...I was back in my step dad's car, with the steering wheel on what now seemed to be the wrong side. Hearing lots of Brits complain about the security line confirmed it. I was back in sunny England. New Mexico seemed like a distance memory. A vivid dream. But unlike a dream, I felt different on awakening. Changed. I was dropped of at my sister's house in Farnborough, just outside of London, and enjoyed the home comforts of a flushing toilet and a powerful warm shower. I listened to Alan Jackson and Rascal Flatts as I did so. The country lyrics reminded me of home, and that's when I realised that my adventure had come back with me. New Mexico and Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary will always feel like a home away from home. I've learnt so much about wolves and wolf dogs, and a lot about myself. Reviewing my mission statement, I can safely say it was all I hoped for, and more. I hope to return to America for a further exploration, and possibly another stint at Wild Spirit.

So what next? That's a good question. I'm going back to study for a year, but what do I do for the next six months? I guess a job would be a good start, but I feel that any job would disappoint. I'd be working in a kitchen thinking, "where's the rotting elk meat?" Or cleaning a courtyard and wondering where all the dog poo is. Even worse, taking my bosses dog for a walk, and ending up rough and tumbling in the mud whilst the general public walk by and give me snobbish looks. I'd like to keep working with wolves, or other animals in similar need of help. To be honest, I don't know where I'll end up, but I've learnt to have faith and trust in things working out. It's exciting to think that I've learnt many new skills, especially my editing abilities (keep an eye out on WSWS YouTube videos, Res Dogs Episode 1 should be uploaded soon) and wood working skills, which I'm set to start using on my parent's new sanctuary in Salisbury.Would I do this again? In a heart beat. I never knew I liked working with animals so much, and hope to continue having involvement with animals for the rest of my life.

Well it's back to my tea and cake. Seriously, there is tea, and I bet there must be some cake lying around... 

No comments:

Post a Comment