Sunday 27 March 2011

Luna the lusting wolf

Oscar (front) and Luna (back) - She's madly in love
Once again, I was summoned by Leyton for a film project. As usual, I didn't complain. I dashed over to his office, picked up camera 1 (camera 2 was currently out of action), a fresh tape and new battery. I followed Katie and Leyton up the hill. We stopped to take a head shot before moving up to Junior's enclosure. Today, he was getting a girlfriend. Selena. He was really scared of us, so much so that we had to stop filming to let him calm down. I couldn't actually go in with Selena so had to let Leyton take the camera. We were all hoping for fireworks, but sadly, Selena got bored of him in five minutes and Junior was happy just marking his territory. There was only one hope left for romance. A lady by the name of Luna, whose been in love with her neighbor for a few years. The man she's lusting for just lost his partner and could use the company in his mourning. His name was Oscar. I was elected to go into his enclosure and leash him (as I'm one of the volunteers who walks him most often) and he might of become scared of Angel or Leyton, mainly as he may associate them with vaccinations and such like. Oscar assumed we were going for a walk and I had to actually take him down to the fence and convince him to come back around. Angel radio me to take me Oscar into Luna's pen. As Luna's is right next door to his, he almost thought he was going back to his own pen! He just walked inside, no problems at all. Leyton, Angel and Katie then came over to see if love was in the air. It was one of the most fascinating animal interactions I had ever seen. Oscar wandered around, taking in the surroundings, whilst Luna tried to illicit play. She stooped down in front of him and pounced lightly. Once, she jumped on his back and he growled at her. He probably thought she was trying to dominate him, or else he just didn't like the affection! Oscar eventually settled down and Luna left him be. Hopefully, Oscar will warm up to her, and a new romance will blossom.

My final week has been amazing. I've been doing lots of editing, and have finished the Angel ed video and am almost finished with Res Dogs, episode 1. Once they're finished and I'm home, I may have to get them up online for all to see. I went to Albuquerque on Monday with Katie and had lots of fun visiting an American Mall, going to the movies and having a nice drink in the evening. I had a spontaneous visit on Thursday, when Katie had to drive Angel in to get her car, and I went with and ended up at Applebees for lunch. We've been to Pinehill a few times, first for laundry, second for groceries. The sanctuary usually supplies them, but at the moment, we're broke. Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary is in need of donations to continue caring for it's wolves and wolf dogs. Ed has also brought his puppies in an attempt to get them adopted. They're so cute, one was adopted on the first tour on the first day he arrived! I took Peanut home one night too, I so wish I could adopt one of these dogs!

Tomorrow we're having a fire outside the volunteer kitchen and then on Monday, a farewell meal at Ancient Way. It's going to be sad leaving all of this behind, but I feel I will be back, and know that the things I've learnt will stay with me forever. I'm all for supporting wild wolf populations and against the breeding of captive bred wolves. I hope that in my next adventure, in six months time, that I can have some involvement with wolves. Education is our only tool. I hope that all who have been following this blog can at least understand why breding these animals for pets is such bad news. If you have any interest in supporting this course, visit the Wild Spirit website (posted at the top of this page) and see if there is anyway you can help. Also, the website for the pod casts is finally finished. If you've enjoyed this blog, follow, thepawedcast.com for ramblings from Wolf Daddy, Leyton J Cougar (see sidebar for the link).

No comments:

Post a Comment