Saturday 19 March 2011

Loss of a loved one

I was in the wolf kitchen when it happened. I'd been awaiting Leyton's arrival so I could go up the hill and see her, but he hadn't arrived. Her death was announced on the radio. I felt a sudden sadness for Gaia, she was a lovely animal. Leyton arrived with the video camera and sent me up to get some footage. I followed Alex up to her enclosure and met Angie, who was sitting with her. I walked into the enclosure and saw Gaia lying there by the tree. She was wrapped up in a blanket, silent and motionless. It was sad to see her this way, but she'd had a long and happy life and I was happy she was now at rest after her illness. Oscar seemed to be coping fine, until he saw Leyton arriving with a group of volunteers, and started his mourning howl. Realisation had finally arrived. Leyton said a few words for Gaia, then the volunteers got ready to carry her away. Alex, Robin, Jane and Mikel gripped the four corners of the blanket and lifted her. They tucked her head inside and brought her down to the wolf kitchen. Quite typically, a tour group had decided to venture outside the courtyard and were in eye shot of us. They had three small children. We dispatched Robin to take them back. Seeing a dead animal is probably not the best way to start a tour. Once we'd gently put Gaia on the wolf kitchen floor, we had to put her into black sacks. We then froze her body. As we're so far away from civilisation, Leyton can't take Gaia to town for a few days. It was a sad experience, but I'm glad I was there to see her pass.

This has been an eventful week. The new volunteers arrived on Tuesday. They're a Swedish couple called Jane and Mikel and are really nice. We had to clean out the kitchen to prepare for their arrival. My duty was the fridge. Never again! They came along on one of my tours, which was odd, and made me think about when I was a new volunteer. My tours have been quite epic recently. I made my record $23 the other day, $70 in two weeks! It's paying my way after Vegas and will allow me to buy some nice souvenirs from the gift shop!

I really feel like the animals are warming up to me. Romeo gets really excitable when I go in and lets me rough and trouble with him. He then just sits there, calmly, right in front of me. Robin actually called me in to entice Romeo out of hiding when he was giving a tour today. I was kneeling down, and he seemed really calm and sociable, so I pushed my luck and pushed my face towards his. He actually let me rub noses with him! It was amazing, and hopefully looked impressive to the tour guests.

I was really fond of Gaia. She used to howl as I approached the fence line, and would push herself up against the chain link so I could pet her. She is definitely one of the many wolves who will stay fondly in my mind.
RIP Gaia - You will be missed

No comments:

Post a Comment