Wednesday 30 January 2013

The day I held a Bald Eagle; Seeking my Power Animal

I've been a few times to the Hawk Conservancy in Weyhill, a fantastic charity who care for a wide variety of birds of prey, including the Great Bustard project, and a host of kites, owls and eagles. You can see birds up close, watch their displays, and even fly a Harris Hawk, but this time I came in search of my power animal.

"Power animals are spirits in animal form who teach, guide, and empower us."

These are the words of Steven Farmer in his book, Animal Spirit Guides, a great resource for finding and connecting with your power animal. They can give you advice on whether to take up an opportunity, such as a job, or provide comfort in times of crisis. I discovered them whilst at Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary, but when I sought a connection was surprised to feel the presence of Eagle, and pushed it away for a time.  I came to restore a connection with Eagle after Farmer's book showed me how much we had in common.

I wandered habitats taking pictures of long-eared owls and hawks before taking a seat outside the Eagle section. I closed my eyes and had a little meditation. It was a blustery day and helped me imagine soaring high above the clouds, and gave me answers to my many questions. I thanked Eagle for his time, and went to watch a display. 

Displays run several times a day with birds who like to soar above the heads of unsuspecting spectators. In previous visits I've had to duck to avoid collisions with vultures! This display was moved to the hide due to the wind, but was no less wonderful. Sweeny Todd, a beautiful snowy owl, flew between her trainers, and a host of black kites snatched food as it was catapulted into the sky. It was spectacular to watch, but things got even better when given given a rare chance to handle Orion, a Bald Eagle.

Our group were asked to wear a thick glove before given a few moments with Orion. I had to duck to avoid his wings as he climbed atop the glove, and I couldn't stop thinking how lucky I was, especially as I came to connect with Eagle, and got to do just that.

After my encounter we explored the newly refurbished restaurant/cafe and bought memorabilia from the gift shop. I got information on volunteering, as giving something back is not only rewarding in itself, but can help you develop a stronger connection with your power animal.


No comments:

Post a Comment