Tuesday 5 March 2013

Weekly Walk #7 A Sunny Walk in Pitton.

It's been a long time since I've taken a walk in only a jumper, but that's what I found myself doing on this lovely sunny walk through Pitton and Farley. I ploughed through a ford on the drive to the Silver Plough, grabbed my Wiltshire Pathfinder Guide, and set off into the sun.

I took the road behind the Silver Plough and turned right into alley leading up though trees to reach a field overlooking the village. I walked to a podcast on my iPod, and enjoyed being able to listen whilst exercising and admiring the landscape. I crossed two stiles and continued over two fields into a spinney and finally woodland.





It was quiet inside and quite magical. I found myself wandering off the track to play with the focus on my camera, though I was quite glad no-one passed to see me kneeling on the grass to take a shot. I ignored the pathways coming off the main track and followed it to the end and Farley village.





I past quaint houses and the distinctive Farley Hospital, and took the first turning on the left. I studied the guide as I'd gotten lost here before, but still found myself at the pub by mistake. I backtracked and continued further down the field to the correct path, crossed the field to a style past a cottage and onto the road.

I climbed the gate into a long field and walked to the end, crossed a style into a much muddier field, and sank as I slopped my way along. I followed the telegraph poles to the end and had to navigate my way around the electricians whose van almost blocked the bridleway that I took to the right.




I climbed the narrow bridleway to turn left at a cross-road of paths, and followed the next path all the way to the end, where it emerged into an open expanse of field. A little stream ran through the middle, and after seeing no other way to cross, I trudged through, but thankfully my boots kept me dry.




I continued into woodland, and walked the tree lined path enjoying a mixture of quiet landscape with the music of Mumford and Sons. I continued until the path bent around to the right at the edge of a large field. I decided not to continue to the ruins of Claredon Palace, and took a shortcut to arrive at a long pathway through more woods.





I stopped briefly to refuel, then continued out the woods to a white cottage. I followed the path until it reached a hill over looking Pitton, then continued down to the road. I turned left then right at the cross-roads to head back up to the pub where I'd parked my car.




No comments:

Post a Comment