Sunday 17 March 2013

Weekly Walk #8 Downton (the one without the abbey)

Although not the base of the hit series Downton Abbey (Highclere Castle in Berkshire), this Wiltshire village is still a charming base for a good walk. It follows a popular trout fishing section of the River Avon and passes the less known Trafalgar House, once home to Britain's Admiral Viscount Nelson. I really enjoyed the mixture of open fields, narrow marshland paths and woodland, which was brought together with a final touch of sun.

I parked at the top of the high street as there weren't any car-parks, but that was fine. I set off towards the bridge and turned left along a footpath to a field. The path followed the river until it went left over a bridge, then right to a concrete track along a narrow stream.





I saw a few fishermen as I made my way to the end of the path, then right over a style and along the right-hand side of a field. The path continued across another two fields before a farmhouse at the end. I found inspiration for a few arty photos of logs in the flooded field, before heading over two bridges, where again inspiration took hold for a pair of swans.





I continued across marshland until I came to a long bridge over running water. It was exciting to trip-trap over, until I hit a sign indicating the path ahead was closed. I almost turned back with knocked hopes, until a well hidden fisherman called over to say it was okay so long as I didn't run, which I'd already ruled out with one look at its width. 



I passed the Mill and turned left uphill before another sharp left. The setting here felt magical; high walls on a tight bend with a church burred in the undergrowth and woodland all around, mixed with the running stream below. I continued through the woods to a gate with Trafalgar House on the right, then through another gate through woods to a road.


I turned right to follow the road uphill round a bend, before a left opposite a house. I walked a short distance before crossing the old railway bridge and turned right into a field. I passed a tractor at work and continued across the field to a lane, then turned right under a bridge before left into a field.


It was intimidating not being able to see over the blind summit up the hill, but the brow soon revealed the distant Downton church near where I'd begun. I crossed a track to a path at the base of the field, then just as the field started to ascend, I turned right down a little path to another field, which led to a residential area. I turned right down an alley, left to the high-street, and finally right to reach my car.

The schools were letting out as I returned and it was fun trying to find a point to turn around, but the walk itself was lovely; a real mix of settings with sights to see.



No comments:

Post a Comment